The Secrets of Caledonia (TSOC) is a supplier of natural cosmetic ingredients inspired by Scottish traditional herbal medicine.
Taking advantage of Scotland’s biodiversity and working in collaboration with established Scottish herbalists,
we aim to provide the most effective and innovative natural ingredients at the highest quality.
- Increase in English chamomile extract concentration is directly proportional to its DPPH radical scavenging activity
- Radical scavenging activity expressed as SC50, which represents the concentration of the extract (v/v%) required to inhibit 50%
of the free DPPH radical
- Low SC50; 0.71% indicates high radical scavenging activity
- Significant scavenging activity observed even at low extract concentrations
- Anti-oxidant properties confirmed
- Superoxide dismutase (SOD) is a metalloenzyme that catalyses the dismutation of superoxide radical into hydrogen peroxide and
- SOD assay was used to determine if English chamomile extract stimulated the enzyme activity. Trolox (vitamin E analogue), a
well-known antioxidant compound was used as positive control.
- Elevated SOD superoxide scavenging activity was observed at high extract concentrations
- Low SC50 value indicating high scavenging activity
- Antioxidant properties of English Chamomile confirmed
- An allergic response is a hypersensitive immune reaction to a harmless substance, causing conditions such as dermatitis, rash and
itching on skin
- Mast cells are regulators of the immune system, they contain biologically active granules (mediators)which are secreted when
they are triggered, a process called degranulation
- Beta-hexosaminidase is a marker for the granules that contain allergic mediators in mast cells
- Its release indicates mast cells degranulation
- English Chamomile extract showed beta-hexosaminidase release inhibition in a concentration-dependent manner
- Anti-allergy properties of English Chamomile extract is confirmed